Friday, September 24, 2010

Beauty of the Dragon

Second semester has kicked in for me and feature writing is one of the subjects that I will have to take, well I do love writing, but I have a slight problem which is I need the mood to write a good write up. If I don't have the mood and were force to write a feature, well to me i won't be able to write at my very best and tend to have writers block along the way.

So for my first feature, I was require to cook up a 500 words profile piece, which basically needed me to choose someone and to interview the particular individual based on what is interesting about the person. Merely about a skill, hobby, or something outstanding that would make readers want to read for entertainment, leisure, or to input something new.

So previously, I was working for the International Dragon Boat race as a liaison officer to foreign teams that came over for the race, and I was in charge to the coolest team ever! It was the Dubai Flying Dragons that came from UAE! Coolest as in they had the most wonderful, friendly, down to earth individuals that made up such an awesome team!! The team was a mixture of men and women, and the team manager was a young lady which I believe non of you should mess with her, as pleasant and beautiful she may be, she is also a Muay Thai fighter as well, so mess with her and get your head smashed!! HAHAHA!!

Which came to my mind, that I would write my feature on her. Well she might be a typical sport lover, but sports that she takes up make men think twice before venturing into it, So here is my article on her!

Beauty of the Dragon

In the 21st century, women are participating themselves in all types of sports and activities. Some of them do excel in the sport better then other men do. Sports like tennis, golf and many more, where it take up a physical challenge. 


This women on the other hand has taken up sports that some men even think twice before venturing into it, Miss Sarah Christine Edgar, who was born in Walney Island, a small island off the Northwest coast of Cumbia, has taken up Dragon boating to a close 4 years now with the Dubai Flying Dragons. 


I had never heard of dragon boating until one of my work colleagues told me about it, I turned up at 6am one winter morning in Dubai and from that moment on I was hooked!” that was all it took for Sarah to love the sport and to be the team manager for Dubai Flying Dragons.


Besides her dragon boating life she holds a full time job as an umpire and referee Coordinator for the International Cricket Council based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Sarah has always been a sports lover. Needless, a competitive person as well. 


Before Sarah took up dragon boating, she was Muay Thai fighter who spent 3 years of her time competing and training in Thailand itself. “ Muay Thai was my main sport and I trained martial arts from the age of 11” Sarah took up dragon boating because she realise that she has never part take in a team sport and would love to give it a try as she was looking for a sport to give out the same physical and mental rush as Muay Thai. “I needed something to fill the competitive void and Dragon Boating was the perfect fit” “I have generally been involved with individual sports, the thought of taking up a team sport was something completely different for me” added Sarah.


Her team has made quite an achievement not only in Dubai, but internationally as well. Locally they have won Dubai International Dragon Boat Festival titles and Abu Dhabi Dragon Boat Festival 500 m race. International achievement are Penang International Dragon Boat Festival 1st place for the 2 km race, Hungary Dragon Festival 1st place 500 m women and 2nd place 500m mixed race.


“I am overwhelmed with the adrenaline rush of racing but the whole team experience is unlike anything else and gives you the chance to share your experiences with others.” 


“The great thing about this sport though is the team bonding and experiences you have and nothing beats racing and learning from mistakes and putting together a great race where every single person in the crew is committed and putting in a titanic effort.”
 
ENDS

Well Sarah, I hope I did make it sound good!! Cheers!
See You and the rest of the team next year!!!

No comments: